The only direction is up

by Julie on February 23, 2012

in Deep Thoughts

Today is what I would characterize as a bad day.

Strangely, I woke up with the “I can conquer the world” feeling that quickly turned to “Why me?”

I was up super early with a goal of leaving the house at 6:15 to get to work by 7. That would give me a whole hour to dig into report writing before students arrived. Luckily, my plan worked and I left the house around 6:15 and knew I would be at work early.

At first, my car was fine. I arrived at a gas station, grabbed some coffee, and went back on the road. That’s when all hell broke loose and my poor little car got the sniffles. First, the red “check battery” light came on, then tons of other little warnings appeared. The dial was all the way to H and then to C… and I knew my engine was overheating. I pulled over, did a quick Google check and the first thing that popped up was this:

Ugh…

{Side note: When I told Todd this story, he was like, “And you pulled over and stopped driving, RIGHT?!” Um, no, Todd, I did not. Oops.}

Instead of pulling over, I did get off the highway at a popular shopping area in Cleveland. It was still before 7 so I knew no place would really be open. Honestly, I was thinking I needed an oil change because my last one was foreverrrrrrrr ago. Maybe I fluids were low? At least that’s what my sister Melanie and I thought. She stayed on the phone with me for some of the crisis.

Once I figured out there would be no car place open, I decided to drive straight to work. I was only about 15 minutes away! I could take care of this measly car situation over lunch, right?

As I was driving along, just trying to get there safely with about 50 car warning lights blinding my eyes, I tried to turn. And… nothing. My steering wheel was stuck and would not turn. SCARY SHIT. Luckily, I was in a residential neighborhood and not on the highway. Whew. I immediately stopped at a 4-way stop and just sat there.

At this point, I had no choice but to call AAA and plead with them to come save me. It’s been exactly a year since I had membership with them. I just never re-joined when my old membership was up. They were able to set me up with a new membership and get me a tow truck. I sat there for about 20 minutes and when the tow truck showed up, I sweet talked him into driving me to work. Then, I sweet talked Todd into picking me up from work (well, he offered). Lots of sweet talking going on today.

It turns out that my cooling fan belt broke, which is why the thing overheated. It’s not too expensive, but enough to make my head spin.

Once I got home, I started having panicking feelings about other financial things going on in my life right now. First the car, and plus other commitments that I have that are making my head spin. I hate talking about finances, and I have it under control, but it really stresses me out.

Tonight, I had plans. Plans to meet with Katie for consultation #2, plans to attend the Blondes vs. Brunettes Happy Hour, and plans to go to the Winking Lizard. Instead, I am here with an open bottle of wine, reflecting about my day, and nursing a headache.

Tomorrow, I will wake up and it will be a better day. Everything has a way of taking care of itself. I will meet the new financial commitment of taking care of my car, no matter how much I grit my teeth when I hand over my bank card. The only direction I can go is up.

You know what’s really awesome?

Tomorrow, I will wake up and it will be this guy’s birthday:

Isn’t he lucky? We’ve only been dating about 2-months and he gets the first birthday. Which means I’m super nervous that he will like what I got him…

But really, I know that presents don’t matter. Being together does and I’m really excited to be with him for his birthday weekend.

P.S. Check out my thoughts on the initial dietary consultation with Katie Heddleston!

Alicia from Poise in Parma February 23, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I just want to come over with another bottle of wine and give you a hug. Car troubles always throw me off course for the rest of the day too. Tomorrow WILL be better – it’s Friday, so there’s a plus already!!
Alicia from Poise in Parma´s last [type] ..event recap: Ohio Blogging Association February Cleveland Blogger Wine Tasting with Miss WineOH

ClassyFabSarah February 23, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Ahhh your post is like my day yesterday. Geesh, this week WILL get better, right??

Haha yes it will, tomorrw’s a birthday day!

And yes, I’m glad to read I’m not the only one who stresses about finances and such. Even if I can afford something, the thought of my money taking a hit is SO STRESSFUL. I’ve so been there lately. Hang in there!
ClassyFabSarah´s last [type] ..Clearly, I’m Distracted

Julie February 23, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Exactly! You hit it spot on. I HATE paying for anything – I’m too cheap. So, even when something comes up that I have to pay for, it still throws me off.

Crystal @EatDrinkCleveland February 23, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Oh no! Whatta day! I would be guzzling some wine too if I were you! Hang in there. Tomorrow is going to rock – you have that awesome boy to celebrate AND it’s Friday!! love you xoxo
Crystal @EatDrinkCleveland´s last [type] ..OBA February Meet Up

Roxanne February 24, 2012 at 12:35 am

Sorry you had a rough day. But…just wanted to mention that if you have roadside assistance with your car insurance, you can get towed for free. It’s normally just a couple dollars for 6 months but is totally worth it in situations like this. I’ve had to use my towing coverage s couple times. It’s a good thing to have.
Roxanne´s last [type] ..Review: The Hipp in Mid Town Cleveland

Holly February 24, 2012 at 8:53 am

Wine sounds like the only solution to that day!

I hate car stuff. Good thing it wasn’t anything worse and you are safe.
Holly´s last [type] ..OBA February Cleveland Meetup: Bloggers & Wine

Jen @ Why CLE? February 24, 2012 at 10:06 am

Sorry you had such a rough day, but you’re right…nowhere to go but up! Hang in there!
Jen @ Why CLE?´s last [type] ..Why? CPT Presents poor little Lulu

Jessica B. February 24, 2012 at 10:38 am

Happy birthday to “that guy” :)
Hope today goes much much better. I have had my share of car troubles and it is no fun and stressful and expensive. Glad you got to unwind with some wine! Hope you have a great weekend!
Jessica B.´s last [type] ..Frrrriday Favs: Chocolate Cake

Katy Widrick February 24, 2012 at 11:37 am

Oh, honey…that is SO scary! Glad you’re OK. I’m notorious about blowing off car trouble, so this is making me think twice.
Katy Widrick´s last [type] ..Confessions Part 4

Julie February 24, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Definitely do NOT blow it off! I didn’t realize how important it was until yesterday. xo

Kimberly @ SMITTEN...in cleveland February 24, 2012 at 6:17 pm

This is what I love about you! You take the hits and realize that you’ve got to take a minute, live in the moment, then push it off, since it’s out of your control. Wine and travelling pants are exactly what you needed to get yourself ready for the Birthday weekend. xoxo
Kimberly @ SMITTEN…in cleveland´s last [type] ..Lexus Style Show – Playhouse Square

Julie February 24, 2012 at 6:22 pm

WINE AND TRAVELING PANTS. Kimberly, you crack me up. I <3 you!

Brittany @ LessBritt MoreLife February 24, 2012 at 9:41 pm

This is awful, J! I’m glad you’re okay though :)
Thanks for the reminder that i need to get my oil changed!

Brittany @ LessBritt MoreLife´s last [type] ..Thoughtless Thursday

justrealhappy February 25, 2012 at 12:19 am

Oh man…how stressful. I’m glad you got it sorted out and that it’s not too, too much money. Still annoying though.

I know all about the whole “making sure my boyfriend has a good birthday because his falls first on the calendar” thing. I will say, he definitely made my birthday nicer than I made his. But I’m sure you will help Todd to have a nice bday. Have fun with him!
justrealhappy´s last [type] ..Esteemed: Part One

Suburban Sweetheart February 25, 2012 at 11:29 am

How scary! Lucky you have a good boyfriend & a good sister to help you through it – and AAA is a godsend!

Sophia March 7, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Oh no! I have already passed a day like this.
And yes, I’m glad to read I’m not the only one who stresses about finances.

Thanks for this post,