Drama-rama on a Sunday Night

by Julie on July 17, 2012

in Life

So, Sunday was supposed to be an awesome day turning into a fun night. Todd came back, and then we went to Hudson to have dinner with my family.

Sounds good, right? Hudson was fun, and we drove back to Lakewood with the intention of staying in for the night and having some wine.

Last minute though, I decided to head back to my apartment to grab something. I parked my car, and walked in.

At this point, it’s important for you to understand what was in my hand: To sets of keys. One set held the basics like my apartments keys. The other set held two car keys (including my spare), and the clicker (fob) to my. Yes, at this point, I hadn’t separated my spare key from my regular car key ever since I bought my car. In my defense, it was less than a week ago and I hadn’t gotten around to it yet!

Okay, so we are back to the story. Todd and I walked into the apartment and into the elevator. We arrived at my floor, the door opened, and I stepped out of the elevator.

The next part still happens in s-l-o-w motion in my head…

I DROPPED MY CAR KEYS DOWN THE ELEVATOR SHAFT.

!!

They slipped through my fingers so quick. I yelped. Todd stared at me like I had a horn growing out of my head. I was in complete disbelief!

At this point, it was 9:15 pm. I did not have my car keys anymore and my car was parked {illegally} in the temporary spot in front of my building. Plus, I had a very tired boyfriend who just wanted to have some wine and go to sleep.

I was so upset and felt like this kind of stuff always happens to me. WHY ME?

Quickly, I called the towing company and explained my car was there. The guy wanted me to put a note on my car indicating that we had talked and to not tow it. Later, I called him back and told him I wouldn’t do that because that would be an invitation for a break in! I was worried about my purse as well, that was locked in the car!

It was then that I remembered I had an OnStar 3 month trial. How convenient! I remembered they could unlock your car from the outside (much better than waiting for AAA to arrive!). I called and tried out the membership and it was super fast and easy. Whew! I got my purse and life was good.

The most annoying part about this whole experience was that I called my apt’s emergency after hours line. I left 3 voicemails and tried calling from both my phone (AT&T) and Todd’s phone (Verizon). He never called us back! So frustrating. What’s the point of an emergency number if they don’t answer… or call you back?

Last night, I went to bed without knowing the fate of my car keys. But luckily, I had someone to drive me around (just in case), and did not have to work this morning.

I did do some Googling. Apparently, people drop keys down the elevator quite frequently! That made me a feel a little better since misery loves company…

In the morning, the apt office called since I also called them last night. They claimed that the guy never got my emergency phone calls (B.S.) and they would get the keys ASAP.

SUCCESS. I picked up my keys and my car later in the morning.

Quite the drama-rama.

Seriously, how do I get myself into these situations?!

Now that I’ve got this off my chest, it’s time to go watch The Bachelorette. :-)

Alicia at Poise in Parma July 17, 2012 at 8:01 am

I gasped out loud when I read what you did! At least you had your apartment keys. YIKES. Happy to hear you were able to get them back!
Alicia at Poise in Parma´s last [type] ..Link It Up: Must Read Posts on 7.13.2012

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields July 17, 2012 at 9:18 am

Oh my gosh, this stuff happens to my sister all the time. One time she got her car stuck in the snow while backing out of a parking spot in our apartment complex and she got out to try to get help or get it unstuck or something and she left the car running and locked her keys in the car. So it was in reverse, running and locked. LOL! We couldn’t get it fixed, couldn’t find the spare and ended up with the police there helping us. It was so funny!

I’m glad things worked out, these stories are never funny during, but afterward they are always those things you laugh about for years!
Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields´s last [type] ..My new best friend (or obsession, however you look at it)

Julie July 17, 2012 at 9:50 am

OMG your sister and I are like twins. LOL. Yea, I agree! Definitely fun stories… but during, it sucks!

Jill (Lady Lazarus) July 17, 2012 at 9:22 am

OMG I have nightmares about this exact same thing happening! The gap between the elevator and main floor always looks so huge & I’m always convinced I’m going to drop my keys down there.
Jill (Lady Lazarus)´s last [type] ..girl disappearing

Julie July 17, 2012 at 9:51 am

I had nightmares about it too! When it actually happened I was shocked!

Katie O July 17, 2012 at 9:34 am

I second Alicia’s “out loud gasp” and I added a couple of “no way, no freaking way”s. Glad everything worked out!!!
Katie O´s last [type] ..Bridal Dress History, Tremont, and Cribbage

Amanda @ Clue Into CLE July 17, 2012 at 12:19 pm

So glad this worked out – I would have freaked!
Amanda @ Clue Into CLE´s last [type] ..2 Ways to Party at the Cleveland Zoo this August

Crystal @EatDrinkCleveland July 17, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Holy crap! That’s some story! And don’t feel bad – crazy stuff happens to me all the time too. SOOO glad it all worked out…finally! Thank God for Onstar!
Crystal @EatDrinkCleveland´s last [type] ..Upcoming Italian Feast!

Julie @ Am I There Yet July 17, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I once put diesel fuel in a super nice Jeep that was rented to me by my employer. I put about 8 gallons in when I realized what I was doing. Luckily, I was smart enough not to start the car and had it towed away. People always asked me, “How did the nozzle even fit?” (It just DID darn it) I was so embarrassed I googled how often that happens. To my relief, google told me it happens a lot, around 180,000 times a year. Thank google, you make me feel less dumb!

Julie July 17, 2012 at 10:45 pm

OMG! This is totally something I would have done… BUT, I may have started the car….

justrealhappy July 17, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Oh my word. I’m glad it all worked out, though it sounded awful in the midst of it!
justrealhappy´s last [type] ..Summer Bucket List: Kennywood

Sana July 17, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I am so glad you got everything back! That would totally happen to me!
Sana´s last [type] ..My Weekend.

Jessica B. July 18, 2012 at 11:10 am

You are going to laugh but one of my worst fears is that I’ll drop my precious Iphone down an elevator shaft. I always pay close attention so that I don’t let that happen.
You are not alone. I’ve heard a lot of people do this. I am always curious what kind of cool things you can find down an elevator shaft
Jessica B.´s last [type] ..Injury Update