27 Life Lessons

by Julie on August 7, 2012

in Deep Thoughts

Hi friends!

Today is my 28th birthday. I really can’t believe I’m already 28 years old which means I’m officially in my late 20′s! Time really does fly by and I’m loving every second of it. I just know that 28 is going to be a fantastic year for me. 27 was definitely an age of transition and I’m sure 28 will have it’s surprises too!

As terrified as I am of being 28 years old, I wanted to blog about 27 things I learned in 28 years. These are the life lessons I wish I could tell my younger self. Some are serious and some are cheesy. Enjoy!

27 Things I Learned in 28 Years

1. Sometimes, minimal makeup is the best makeup. Your natural you is what makes you unique.

2. Being confident in what you wear is the most important thing. If you wear something trendy, just to fit in, and you don’t feel like a million bucks, wear something else.

3. Always pay yourself first. I know you hear this over and over, but have a savings account and put money into it. Even if you are broke as a joke, have student loans, and have to eat ramen noodles daily, I’m sure you have at least $10 that can go into an account. That money will add up and you will be thankful.

4. Check your online banking account, just to check for fraudulent purchases. Companies and other people can screw you by stealing your account number or overcharging you. Don’t think that it’s never worth fighting. If you wouldn’t give $10 in cash away, why would you do it on your check card?

5. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! My mom taught me at a very young age to put on lotion after every shower and do this daily. My skin has thanked me for this. Also, use your ring finger to apply eye lotion in your delicate eye area as well. Your future self will thank you.

6. Put up your boundaries and bring people into your life who deserve to be there. If a friend is not being a good friend in return, it’s time to let them go. This is such a hard lesson to put into action and one that has taken me years to learn.

7. Vegetables can cure. Whenever you feel like crap and want to start eating healthy again, have a salad. Fill it with healthy greens and whichever veggies you prefer. I promise, you will feel so much better.

8. There is no need to wear heels if you hate them and they hurt your feet. When I think of my most favorite nights out, I don’t recall what kind of shoes I was wearing, but I do remember if my feet hurt.

9. Everyone has a story and everyone deserves to be loved. Be compassionate. People’s immediate thoughts and actions are not always the whole story either. Giving people the benefit of doubt and a second chance is noble.

10. Embrace your “negative” attributes. A messy person? Bad at directions? Once you embrace these characteristics, the next step is improving them. Plus, you will have a good laugh along the way.

11. Please, wear sun screen. Don’t burn to a crisp.

12. Admit your faults, but don’t overdo it. Be confident in your actions and question them. This is a hard balance that I’m still working on.

13. Write thank you notes. In 2012, there’s nothing better than holding a hand written note from a friend or family member.

14. Give people eye contact and non-verbal cues when you speak to them. Listen. Really, listen and paraphrase what they said. They will feel amazing knowing that someone truly knows their story.

15. Volunteer in a way that works best for you. Find an organization that will work with your schedule and talents. That’s the best way to join something and stick with it.

16. Laugh at yourself. Poke fun at your friends, let them poke fun at you. Have your relationships be built on laughter and happy moments.

17. It takes more energy to be negative than it takes to be positive. Whenever you find yourself in a negative situation, if you put positive energy out there, you and the universe will feel better.

18. Find a way to continually connect with your significant other. When times get tough, go for a walk. You will feel 100% closer.

19. Your gut feeling is the most powerful decision maker you’ll ever have. It’s cliche for a reason: Follow your gut.

20. When in doubt, be nice to everyone you come in contact with, even if it appears undeserved. As Conan O’Brian once said, “If you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.”

21. As Nike says, the best way to start living a healthy lifestyle is to “Just Do It.” There’s a lot of wisdom in those three words!

22. Be genuine and realize that you are the only you.

23. If you’re going to dye your hair black, really think about it first. It takes awhile for it to grow out! (Hey, it was either that or a tattoo!).

24. If you are a super disorganized person, that’s fine. But at least have a specific spot for the most important items: social security card, birth certificate, car title, etc.

25. Be proud of your country and true to your roots.

26. Listen to your body. Push yourself when it tells you to, but back off when it tells you to slow down.

27. Know that whatever Life Lessons you type out at the age of 28 may be laughable by the time you are 48 or 88. Life is a gigantic learning curve!

Holly August 7, 2012 at 8:18 am

Happy B-Day! BTW I considered 27 to be late 20s. :)
Holly´s last [type] ..Vintage Ohio Wine Festival 2012

Julie August 7, 2012 at 10:28 am

Thanks! Hahaha… I waited as long as I could for the “late twenties” label!

Jen @ Why CLE? August 7, 2012 at 8:30 am

Great tips! Have a wonderful birthday and a fabulous year ahead!
Jen @ Why CLE?´s last [type] ..Why? Fresh Fork!

Julie August 7, 2012 at 10:28 am

Thanks Jen!

Roxanne August 7, 2012 at 8:31 am

Excellent life lessons – no matter what age you are. (my hair will be not black soon, darn it – 3 more dye jobs maybe?)

I’ve mentioned a bunch of times that I think getting older is great. I am more comfortable in my own skin at 31 than I was at 21 or 25 or even 28. Every year is a new opportunity to learn and grow as an individual. I hope that 28 brings you nothing but amazing things!
Roxanne´s last [type] ..Summertime Fun at Sunset Harbor Bar and Grille

Julie August 7, 2012 at 10:29 am

Thanks girl! I agree with you about getting older. I do believe I am more confident and happy with each passing year!

Allison August 7, 2012 at 8:49 am

This is such a great list! But I wanted to point out that turning 28 means you’ve completed 28 years, not 27 (you turn one after your first year, not before.) Just FYI! :)
Allison´s last [type] ..A New Birth

Julie August 7, 2012 at 10:29 am

Hahaha well, “27 in 27″ sounded better but you’re very right so I changed it :-) xo

Stina August 7, 2012 at 9:26 am

#23 – TRUTH. I learned that lesson the hard way. NOTHING colors over black. NOTHING.

Happy Birthday Julie!
Stina´s last [type] ..Thoughts on Thursday

Julie August 7, 2012 at 10:30 am

Agreed. I wanted to be exotic or something…. yea, I was totally fooling myself!

Erin August 7, 2012 at 9:43 am

I am the queen of thank you notes! Totally agree!

Julie August 7, 2012 at 10:31 am

So glad you agree… we gotta pass this on to everybody we can!

Lane (Lane Baldwin Photography) August 7, 2012 at 9:52 am

So great! I love it! Happy birthday, Julie. :)
Lane (Lane Baldwin Photography)´s last [type] ..Blueberry Coffee Cake & My New Morning Routine

Julie August 7, 2012 at 10:31 am

Thank you darling!

Susan August 7, 2012 at 10:24 am

Happy Happy Happy Birthday :)

I love these points, and when my big 3-0 comes up in a few months, I’m totally stealing this idea (which credit of course ;)
You are a wise, wise girl :) What a fabulous list!

I totally agree with #2. I’ve done that a ton of times. I’ve stopped trying to be trendy and just rock my own style. I used to feel dumpy when I didn’t always blend in, but now I work hard to work on my own style, and feel so much better because of it. Which PS- in relationship to #8, I’m miserable in heels, I never have fun with them. I gave up.

Number 6 is a huge deal. Because time is so valuable as we get busier and busier, I know the only friendships worth investing are the ones who enrich our lives. But it’s hard to give up on a relationship that has grown and changed (for the negative) because everyone wants friends. And as an adult, it’s not always the easiest to make new friends, and it’s not like when you’re in HS and you don’t have any responsibilities other than nurturing friendships.

#18 is so important. B and I started doing this. Disconnecting from technology and reconnecting with each other. A walk through the neighborhood is so much more than that!
Susan´s last [type] ..Floppy Disk Pencil Holder (Pinterest Crafting)

Julie August 7, 2012 at 10:32 am

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment! xoxo

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields August 7, 2012 at 11:07 am

What a great birthday post! I loved all of your advice, I cannot even pick a favorite! Happy birthday!
Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields´s last [type] ..On leaving…

Katie Shaffer August 7, 2012 at 11:32 am

Fabulous post Julie! This is my first time visiting your blog and I love every word that you have written! I hope you have the happiest of birthdays!

Mom August 7, 2012 at 6:03 pm

You are a very wise and wonderful daughter, and I couldn’t be prouder of the insights you learned and shared, knowing the journey that brought you to them thus far!!!

Have a wonderful day, and can’t wait to celebrate this weekend and at BB!

Suburban Sweetheart August 12, 2012 at 11:57 am

Love this. I did a list of my own a few years back… perhaps it’s time to revisit it!
Suburban Sweetheart´s last [type] ..Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made