Life Updates

by Julie on August 27, 2013

in Deep Thoughts

Hello, hello!

Wow, it’s crazy to see that the last time I blogged was July 31. A LOT has happened since then and my mind has been elsewhere. Sometimes with blogging, I tend to become super Type A with things and can become stressed if I didn’t cover everything that happened since I last blogged. This time around, I’m going to try not to stress. It’s just a blog, after all.

During the month of August, this blog celebrated it’s 5 year anniversary. Have I really been blogging for 5 years? It’s crazy to think about. There’s been so much I’ve poured into this little corner of the internet and I am thankful for the random day I decided to start Wearing Mascara.

I also celebrated my 29th birthday. I figure that I can post something super deep next year for the big 3-0, but for now, I will say that I’m content going into my final year as a 20-something. When I started my 20s, I never thought I would learn so much about myself by age 29. Cliche as it may be, my 20s have truly been and continue to be the decade of finding myself and who I am. I’m comforted in my relationships with people who truly matter. I’ve learned to forgive and forget, to not only other people, but to myself. This decade is a time to make many mistakes, and I’m sure you have as well. But, it’s also a time to learn how to let go. Let go of my past, who I was, mistakes I’ve made, and mistakes other people have made. Life is such an interesting and fun journey. I can say with total certainty that my 30s will be the best decade ever.

This month, I started a new job, which is the primary reason for my blogging absence. Most nights, I’ve been emotionally drained, which is common in new transitions. I am truly loving my new position. Every day, I am being reinforced for my decision to leave my previous job. Every day, I am motivated to do good. I recall the days of graduate school and how every day, I would be motivated in my classes just imagining what the future would bring as a future school psychologist. When reading articles, I was truly entertained and thought of ways I would be able to apply my new skills. Unfortunately, in the past year, my motivation for my work started to trickle away. Most days, I would look deep in my heart for the love that I used to have, only to come up empty handed. I need to do more and when my dream job opened up, I decided to reach high, and ended up being offered the position. Now, every day, I am reminded of why I became a school psychologist. My passion has returned and I’m completely fulfilled.

So, what else? Todd and I are deep in wedding planning. As of now, we have the church, reception, and photographer booked. Next is the DJ {any recommendations?}. Todd and I set the date for October 4, 2014, which I’m sure will come super quick. I think that eventually I will like wedding planning, but for now, I can tell you that I’m not a fan… The guest list is stressful as well as other etiquette-like question marks. I swear, if I didn’t have to deal with the etiquette piece, wedding planning would be a no brainer.

That’s about it for my life update.

More soon!

xo,

Julie

P.S. Have you seen this article, 23 Signs You’re Secretly an Introvert? I saw it floating around the internet and have never read an article that was so me before. Many people meet me and immediately assume I’m an extrovert because of my outgoing personality. The truth is that I tend to have a lot of social anxiety and all of these points, except for #11 and #21, are me. #11 would mean that Todd is an extrovert {he’s not!} and I’ve never had a problem with #21 {I am outspoken, especially when there is a forum, like a classroom.. I think #21 contradicts with #8}.

Bari August 27, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Congrats on the new job! I need to check out that article, I think. Pretty sure most of it would apply to me as well.
Bari´s last [type] ..Michigan Wine Trail Half Marathon #racereport

Erin G August 27, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Congrats gurly! It will come so fast!! Soo happy for you!

Deanna August 28, 2013 at 10:09 am

We had Rock the House for our dj and loved them!

Amie August 28, 2013 at 11:50 am

So many life changes in your 29th year! I’m sure it’ll be a great one!
-I was NOT a fan of wedding planning, but I hope that it becomes fun for you and not super stressful!
-I think I am a secret introvert as well! I’ll have to check out the link later.
-Also, congratulations on finding your passion again!

susan @ suddenlysusan.com August 28, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I loved wedding planning, we did as much as possible ourselves. I’m sorry you’re not as big of a fan, I found it to be a blast (am I a total nerd that that I loved assembling our favors and making our invites?!)
susan @ suddenlysusan.com´s last [type] ..Meeting goals

Jess @ Anchored in CLE August 28, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Welcome back haha ;)

I love your description of your 20s, I feel like I’m definitely experiencing that, but also need to work on the letting go & forgiving aspects.

Congratulations on your new job – that is SO exciting! I’m glad your passion has returned :)

Also I agree with the introvert thing too, I think I try to overcompensate for feeling so awkward that I make myself be extroverted haha, but quite a few of those numbers in that article are definitely similar for me (maybe I’m half introvert, half extrovert? lol). 11 is the same for me as you, I’m not dating an extrovert either. In fact, I think my boyfriend is probably more introverted than I am haha.
Jess @ Anchored in CLE´s last [type] ..Weekend Adventures

Jessica M. August 29, 2013 at 8:20 am

I have to recommend my DJ, Louie from Unlimited Productions. I’ve seen him do many weddings and he truly does a great job. Once we got to the reception, he basically acted like a wedding coordinator. He got people lined up, kept everything moving, I didn’t have to worry about anything and he even grabbed us drinks when we were empty! He’s seriously awesome and well worth the money. I was so worried that people wouldn’t dance at the wedding (I know, dumb to worry about but i’ve seen it happen) and the dance floor was packed! Louie knows how to get people out there and keep them out there!
As for wedding planning, you are off to a great start! Don’t let it stress you out and get anything you can out of the way early on so you are less stressed closer to the wedding. Also, closer to the wedding you will not care about etiquette anymore and will just get done what you can. Towards the end of wedding planning you are just over the whole planning process.
Jessica M.´s last [type] ..Wedding Favors and Fun Facts

ClassyFabSarah August 29, 2013 at 8:24 am

Woohoo, absolutely THRILLED for October 4th of next year!! It’s going to be here SOOOO fast. Not that I need to tell you that!
ClassyFabSarah´s last [type] ..Wedding Wednesday: Killing Me Softly

Jess @JAMinCLE August 29, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Congrats on all the wonderful new changes and chapter in your life (personally and professionally) Wishing you all the best in the year ahead, girlfriend! Cheers!
Jess @JAMinCLE´s last [type] ..Mohican Weekend Part II: A Grape Excursion

nifsindia November 19, 2013 at 6:40 am

congrats gurly..i am very happy to come back…i am wishing you all the best for your bright future.

Sarah December 2, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Congrats on the new job and birthday and 5 year blogiversary! :)